Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Remembrance

Yesterday at 11 am, people all over the country [ and the Commonwealth ] paused to remember the moment exactly 90 years ago when the guns of WW1 became silent.

Today I'm doing a different kind of remembering.
My only sibling, my 'baby' brother would have turned 50 today

Bill was a talented graphic artist and photographer who went blind in his mid 20s, and died suddenly at 34 of a cerebral haemorrhage.

I really struggle with the idea of him at 50

He was a real little beggar as a kid, always doing his best to get me [ the goody two shoes perfect elder sister ] into strife ... always under my shadow a bit, until a very perceptive art teacher encouraged and developed his rather prodigious natural talent in High School.

He was a strange, eccentric, gentle, whimsical, child-like soul and it's sad that he didn't ever manage to realise his enormous potential. Life isn't always fair, is it ?

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

I've had a number of recent reminders that life isn't fair sometimes. And a few more (from different people) about trying to find the happy. It's not always an easy thing to do.

Thinking of you as you think of your brother.

Nadie said...

I really can't imagine him as being 50. He was an awesome uncle, for the 10 years that I had to know him.

Lest we forget.

Lynne said...

He lives on in your memory and no one can take that away from you
[I hope].

Carol said...

Oh honey, I have no words except to say I understand. {{{hugs}}}

Sheepish Annie said...

What a happy and sad thing. To have been blessed with such a person in this world but to have lost him so soon...life is, indeed, unfair sometimes.

::hugs::

Lindi said...

Nope, life isn't always fair. And knowing others are doing it harder doesn't help us feel any better, either. All we can do is remember, and soldier on in whatever way we can. Hugs and hugs